Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Run Fat Bitch Run

No, I'm not insulting you.  This is the name of a book.  On reading recommendations of this book in both Zest and Women's Health, I decided I would give it a go and purchased it for my Kindle.  As I'm sure you've guessed, this book is about running! This is where I stand...

The author, Ruth Field has an interesting approach to running, which I like.  The book, she says, is designed for those of us who 'never commit to anything by way of exercise or diet for long enough to see any results'.  She suggests that you will probably never enjoy running and it will always be hard work.  BUT, you will eventually 'embrace' the hard work because of the results you see it bringing.  Fair enough.

So if this book is for the commitment-phobe, how do we motivate ourselves to get running and stay running?  This is where it goes downhill if you are like 99.9% of women.  In order to motivate yourself, you must tell yourself what a fat, lazy bitch you are.  Yes!  Now, I don't about you, but I do this pretty much every day.  It does NOT motivate me to exercise, it motivates me to give up and reach for another cream cake, 'coz I'm fat anyway'.  It's called being a woman.

When you begin Field's six-step programme you have to plan a route, which should be between 3 and 4 miles.  Initially she wants you walk it.  Just walk, no running.  Great!  No.  This will take you around an hour and you are expected to do this every day until you start to feel you can do a bit of running.  That put me put off the whole programme instantly.  Trying to find an entire hour to commit to exercise every day, certainly for me, is simply impossible.  Even if I could find one, I couldn't justify spending so much time walking around.  She disagrees.  Apparently, if President Obama can fit in a run a day anyone can.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Obama has a little help with the everyday things that take up much of everyone else's free time.

Finally, she specifies that your route should be on your doorstep.  You should find one which is pleasurable, scenic, where you can get onto grass or better, sand, and breathe in fresh air.  That might be OK if you live in the South of France or near Bondi  Beach.  If you live in the city, beyond your doorstep is likely to be concrete pavements and polluted main roads.  The only grass you'll see is in the local park, where 14 year-olds are drinking White Lightning, hanging off the climbing frame and taking the time out of their hectic homework schedules to mock your wobbly bottom.

So to sum up 'Run Fat Bitch Run', if you have a lot of time on your hands, live in a beautiful sleepy Cornish village and enjoy hurling abuse at yourself, buy it.  If you are a normal, hard-working, suburb-dwelling human being with emotions, do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment