Friday, April 6, 2012

'Hate the haterz'!!!

I love this phrase, Lily Cooper (formerly Allen) used it on Twitter last night and I frequently see it on facebook. 'Hate the haterz'.  I'm going to ignore the fact this phrase is a complete paradox because it goes off my point, which is this... I am a hater!

Frequently when I look in the mirror, I hate this bit or that bit.  I want a bit off here, a bit more on there.  I've been this way since I was a teenager, one of the first to develop scary boobs and notice stretch-marks on my then rather skinny thighs.  I thought because I had stretch-marks I must be fat.  No one told me that they just pop up during puberty and ironically it was probably more likely down to sports and the development of my muscles.  It's difficult to change the thinking patterns you develop during your teenage years.

This is why I was so thrilled to see the Dove Self Esteem Programme for girls and boys aged 11-14.  One statistic given in their literature: 'While only 19% of teenage girls are overweight, 67% think they 'need to lose weight' ' (Jan 2004, Bliss Magazine) (I have to say this statistic was most likely published in a teenage magazine brimming with images of skinny models and actresses - ironic!).  The programme aims to educate young people in building their self-esteem and body confidence, and teaches why these things are so important in life.  Kids answer questions like 'Who says who is beautiful?' and view the work that airbrushing does to the images of actresses like Kate Winslet.  There are free, downloadable workshops and activity guides for school-teachers to use in class, but also for parents to use at home.  http://www.dove.co.uk/dsep/support-tools/workshops.html

If I had a teenage daughter, I would absolutely be using these resources and encouraging her school to do the same.  I was always keen on Dove's 'Real Beauty' campaign but I think they have really pulled it out of the bag with this, working alongside 'beat', an eating disorder charity.  Whilst much of the media world tries to shrink everyone down with ridiculous syrup diets, some campaigns are positively fighting back.  The fact is, to be as fit and healthy (body and mind) as your situation allows, whatever body that comes with, is the most important thing, and this should be encouraged.  I love magazines like Zest and Women's Health who encourage us grown ups as well (so perhaps it's not too late for me either!)  So no more haterz please, it's positively unhealthy!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment