Saturday, October 3, 2015

Buried treasure!!!

I cannot begin without attempting to give an adequate reason for my absence from blogging.  As many of you know, the last academic year was my final year studying for my degree.  Whilst the content of my final module presented me with some incredibly emotive blogging material, all of my time and energy had to be directed to five hugely in depth research assignments and what felt like the most significant exam I've ever taken!  I hope you will allow me to pick things up where we left off!

It is, in fact, my university who has inspired today's blog post.  The Open University has recently launched a campaign on social media called #LovePartTime.  The purpose is to celebrate, and reflect on, part-time study.  Having also received my degree certificate today, I thought I might reflect on what part-time study has given me and perhaps encourage others to give it a go, either formally or informally.

Probably the most important thing I discovered on my voyage of study, as another OU campaign proposes, is what I am capable of.  When you begin studying you wonder how on earth you will fit it all in!  Finding time to study in between family and friends, a full-time job, running a home, and all the other things 'adulting' throws at you seems an impossible task.  And let me tell you, it still seems impossible when I look back!  But, studying part-time teaches you to prioritise, to organise and very often, to let go!  I must say, my house is a lot cleaner since finishing!

On the other hand, I could never take all the credit for getting through my degree in one piece.  I met my now husband in my final year of my access course and I started my degree the following year, so he has never had me all to himself.  I have spent most of the evenings and weekends of our entire relationship staring at computer screens and books yet, I can honestly say, he didn't complain once (I think he misses the peace and quiet now!).  The same goes for my family and friends, when I have had to turn down invitations and gatherings so I could finish an assignment - never a huff or puff.  So another thing you learn is how wonderful and supportive your loved ones can be.

Diverting a little from the part-time theme, I also want to reflect on what studying history has taught me.  History isn't just facts and figures, it is the study of humanity, which can be harrowing, moving, joyful, or downright hilarious (and I have both laughed and cried)!  The discipline encourages you to dig deep into the psyche of another human, or the consciousness of another community, of a different time and space.  This leaves you with an ever-present desire to try to understand - other people, other cultures, other beliefs, other concepts and other ideas.  You learn to look at one thing from a variety of perspectives, which makes the world a much more interesting and engaging place.

I really would encourage anyone to try some part-time study.  In the world we live in now there are so many learning resources readily available, whether you want to work towards a qualification or you simply want to find out more about a topic.  The Open University's #OpenLearn is a wonderful (and free!) place to explore http://www.open.edu/openlearn/.  It may well be a rough, choppy voyage of discovery but, I guarantee, there will be huge amounts of treasure buried along the way!



1 comment:

  1. You will also want to pay close attention to the energy output. Different models will have different output levels and this will be important. You are curious to know more about gym equipment, read this.

    ReplyDelete